Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Book Review Times Two - Brandon Sanderson

I've just finished a couple of books I really enjoyed, both by the same author.

"Elantris"
Elantris
and
"Warbreaker"
Warbreaker (Tor Fantasy)

both by Brandon Sanderson.  Both of these books fall into the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category which is not usually my thing.  (I'm a huge mystery/suspense/thriller fan.)  BUT, I love anything with good writing, a good plot, and at least a little suspense.   So I make exceptions.  (A lot.)   My other stipulation for giving a book a big thumbs up is that the writer doesn't rely on gratuitous s-e-x to fill the pages or swear too dang much.  (A book I absolutely hate for this reason:  "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult)

These books fit the bill.  Both sucked me in from the very first page and kept me reading.  (Too much, too fast!)  Both have strong characters and well crafted plots and what I call "artistic unity" (which means that everything in the book is in there for a reason) and although they both include swear words, they're made up swear words in a made up language.  So not offensive to me at all!

Now, I must say that "Warbreaker" does include some s-e-x.  Nothing graphic but it is part of the plot: since two characters get married and are supposed to make a baby.  To me, that excludes it from the "gratuitous" category so I don't get all het up about it...but it is in there.

One other thing I don't enjoy in all Sci Fi/Fantasy in general?  Made up nouns.  I like being able to pronounce things and I have no idea what the proper pronunciation is for "T'Telir" or "Susebron".  But, I can never have everything I want.  Even my perfect husband likes Country music, after-all...!  So I try not to be too bugged.

When I started "Elantris", Doug told me I'd be sorry there is no sequel.  He was right.  I was sad to finish it.  Which is why I started "Warbreaker" soon after.  That's my idea of a good story.

Therefore, I highly recommend these books.  Especially "Elantris".

Have you read these books or any others by Brandon Sanderson?  What did you think?
Read anything else I'd love lately?

1 comment:

Bartimaeus said...

Warbreakerhas a sequel silly.